Property owners can be held liable for poor or dangerous conditions that could have been prevented on a construction site. This includes being held financially responsible for medical expenses associated with injuries that individuals – from invited guests to neighbors, vendors and even trespassers – sustain onsite.

Our premises liability policy provides protection for exposures arising out of vacant property ownership during construction, including the cost of events like slip-and-fall injuries. The coverage will pay direct damage for medical aid to the injured party and defend the insured should a lawsuit arise.

Premises liability insurance is a separate, complementary policy to US Assure’s builders risk policy, and it does not take the place of the contractor’s commercial general liability coverage.


What is premises liability coverage?

Construction sites can be hazardous and property owners can be held liable for slips, falls and other preventable accidents, even when the injured person was trespassing. Premises liability coverage will pay direct damage for medical aid to the injured party that arises out of owner negligence and defend the insured in the event of a lawsuit.

Why is premises liability important?

Premises liability coverage can protect the financial livelihood of residential and commercial property owners against hazardous conditions related to new construction or remodeling projects on unoccupied property or on land when there is no permanent property coverage, like a homeowners or commercial business owners policy, already in place.

What types of projects does premises liability insurance cover?

Premises liability coverage protects residential and commercial property owners from exposures related to new construction or remodeling projects on unoccupied or vacant property. It also can cover a piece of land that is undergoing construction without property coverage.


  • Eligible clients: Residential and commercial property owners undergoing new construction or remodeling projects
  • Ineligible clients: Contractors and contracting companies that do not legally own the premises
  • Ineligible risks:
    • Occupied properties — property must be vacant
    • Residential land in excess of five acres; commercial land in excess of 10 acres
    • Properties with more than four units on its premises
    • Property with any business or farming conducted on premises
    • Coverage is also excluded for swimming pools, ponds, lakes, trampolines and swing sets in most states
    • Fuel tanks or properties formerly containing underground fuel tanks
    • Pollution exposures of any kind


  • Quote and issue online in minutes
  • Insured by an “A” rated carrier and admitted in most states
  • Policy must be in the name of the legal property owner, whether it’s the homeowner or contractor
  • Insure one or multiple residential properties per policy when located in the same state; commercial properties are restricted to one location per policy
  • Three-, six- and 12-month policy terms available with limits up to $1M per location
  • Minimum premium starting at $100
  • Direct billing and premium installment payments available
  • A separate builders risk policy can also be secured for the owner


Admitted: AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY

Non-admitted: entire state of AL, FL, LA and MS; also NY coastal region

Not available: AK and HI

Related Topics and Resources

View more
Job Site Security Report

Share with your clients how to implement a successful job site security plan.

Builders Risk Coverage Summary by Policy Type

Get a complete list of optional coverages available for various policy types and values.

The Best 101 Guide for Builders Risk Insurance

Get a comprehensive overview of the basics, including coverages, policy types and more.

How to Find Leads and Sell Builders Risk Insurance

Learn business-building tips with five recorded lessons, personalized for personal and commercial lines producers.

Quote and issue a policy
Agent log in
Become an agent today
Register now
Back to top